THE INN ON DECATUR
An enjoyable stay is yours just (2) blocks from downtown Cumberland in a beautifully renovated Federal-style B&B (circa 1875). Visit website.
CUMBERLAND INN & SPA
Casually elegant boutique inn with secure bike storage located just steps away from the Great Allegany Passage. Spa specializing in massage & facials on premise. 240-362-7111 (circa 1810). Visit website.
THE BRUCE HOUSE INN
Step back in time at an elegant B&B located in historic 1840 Federal-style home. (301) 777-8860. Visit website.
Opened in 2002. Historic 1845 Home on the National Register of Historic Places. Open year round. Five beautifully decorated rooms, organic breakfast included and wellness education center on site. Massage & wellness therapies by certified therapists available by prior request. Visit website.
RAMADA DOWNTOWN CUMBERLAND
Conveniently located at Exit 43C off I-68, the Ramada provides the surroundings and hospitality to make your stay a memorable one. Visit website.
FAIRFIELD INNS & SUITES BY MARRIOTT
Offering comfortable guest rooms at a superior value for both business and leisure travelers. Free hot breakfast with Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches, Bold Beginnings coffee, cereal, fresh fruit Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland hotel is ideally situated near downtown Cumberland. Visit website.
YMCA CUMBERLAND OUTDOOR CAMPING
Indoor shower facilities, indoor rest rooms access to vending machines while facility is open Fenced in area for camping with eating shelter and picnic tables. Convenient location within a mile of the Terminus of the C&O Canal and the beginning of the Great Alleghany Passage. Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 5 am-10 pm, Sat. 7 am-9 pm & Sun. 9 am-6 pm.
Phone 301-777-9622. Based on venue availability
.00 Head West on Great Allegheny Passage to Baltimore St.
.10 Turn Left onto Baltimore St, cross railroad tracks and Wills Creek.
.20 Turn left onto Greene St, you will need to bear right on Greene at the 1st light.
.60 Turn left onto Lee St. –Sheetz is on the corner at the light.
.80 Turn right onto Beall St, ( If you go straight you will end up on I 68, Not a good Idea)
.90 Turn left onto Kelly Rd, Just before the railroad tracks.
1.10 On left is the Camp grounds and the YMCA is on the Right, please stop in and register.
Outdoor Camping Fee Per Night: $10.00 Adults/ $5.00 Children. FREE for Y Member & AWAY Y Members
CHESAPEAKE & OHIO CANAL HIKER BIKER CAMPSITES
(H/B) are provided about every 5 miles beginning at Mile 16. Each camp site has a water pump, Jiffy John, grill, and picnic table. These sites are “First Come, First Serve” and only one group is permitted at each site (up to eight persons).
Fires are restricted to fire rings and grills in all H/B campsites. Portable off-ground grills are also permitted, but coals must be
removed from the park after use. Dead wood may be collected solely for use in campsite fires. Wood can not be removed from the park.
Note: Fees are required at Drive-In campsites. Fees are charged on a per site/night basis, and apply even if you do not drive in. All other hiker biker sites are free.
For More Information: Refer to the National Park Service Website.
Campsites along the Towpath:
- 11.6 Marsden Tract Campground (map) 301.299.3613: PERMIT REQUIRED – reserved for civic/scout organizations only. $20/night
- 16.6 Swain’s Lock #21 Five Campsites – nearby vehicle access
- 26.0 Horsepen Branch H/B (map) 1.2 miles from vehicle access at mile 27.2
- 30.5 Chisel Branch H/B (map) 0.3 miles from vehicle access at mile 30.8
- 34.5 Turtle Run H/B (map) 1.0 miles from vehicle access at mile 35.5
- 38.1 Marble Quarry H/B 1.5 miles from vehicle access at mile 39.6
- 42.4 Indian Flats H/B 0.3 miles from vehicle access at mile 42.1
- 47.6 Calico Rocks H/B 0.8 miles from vehicle access at mile 48.2 Located near busy railroad. Subject to noise.
- 50.3 Bald Eagle Island H/B 0.5 miles from vehicle access at mile 50.8 Located near busy railroad. Subject to noise.
- 54.0 Brunswick Family Campground (map) 301.834.8050: Private Campground – Showers. Located between Towpath and River, with Shower Facilities. Appears to be VERY popular but expect railroad noise.
- 58.0 Harpers Ferry Hostel (map) 301.834.7652: On Maryland side across from Harpers Ferry. Cross RR Tracks and make first left. One mile up hill to corner of Keep Tryst and Sandy Hook Roads.
- 62.9 Huckleberry Hill H/B Remote Campsite – No vehicle access
- 69.4 Antietam Creek Recreation Area (map) Easy vehicle access – 20 Campsites – Fee Area: $10/Night
- 75.3 Killiansburg Cave H/B (map) 1.3 miles from vehicle access at mile 76.6
- 79.9 Horseshoe Bend H/B (map) 1.1 miles from vehicle access at mile 81.0
- 82.5 Big Woods H/B (map) 1.5 miles from vehicle access at mile 81.0
- 88.1 McMahons Mill (Bike Detour) RV and Tent Camping
- 90.9 Opequon Junction H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access
- 95.2 Cumberland Valley H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access
- 99.4 Jellystone Park (map) 301.223.7117: Private Campground – Full Service RV and Cabins. Located 2 Miles south of Williamsport along Route 68. Showers, pool, camp store.
- 99.4 Hagerstown KOA (map) 301.223.7571 : Private Campground – Full Service RV and Cabins. Located 3 Miles north of Williamsport along Kemp Mill Rd. Showers, pool, camp store.
- 101.2 Jordan Junction H/B (map) 1.9 miles from vehicle access at mile 99.3
- 109.6 North Mountain H/B (map) 0.4 miles from vehicle access at mile 110.0
- 110.0 McCoys Ferry Recreation Area (map) Primitive RV and Tent Camping – Fee Area $10/night
- 112.4 Fort Frederick State Park (map) Massive pre-revolution Fort. Easy access from towpath
- 116.0 Licking Creek H/B 1.5 miles from vehicle access at mile 114.5. Located Near I-70 – Subject to traffic noise.
- 120.4 Little Pool H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access. Located Near I-70 – Subject to traffic noise.
- 126.4 White Rock H/B (map) 1.2 miles from vehicle access at mile 125.2
- 129.2 Happy Hills Campground (map) 301.678.7760: Private Campground – Full Service RV and Tent Camping (200 Sites). Cabins and Horse Stables available. 12617 Seavolt Rd
- 129.8 Leopards Mill H/B (map) 0.9 miles from vehicle access at mile 130.7
- 133.6 Cacapon Junction H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access.
- 139.2 Indigo Neck H/B (map) 1.6 miles from vehicle access at mile 140.8
- 140.8 Fifteen Mile Creek Recreation Area (map) Fee Area: $10 to $20. A Drive-in site with RV and tent sites (Primitive Facilities – No RV Hookups)
- 140.8 Little Orleans Campground (map) 301.478-2325: Private Campground – RV and tent sites 1/4 mile from the towpath. Showers, pool, camp store.
- 144.5 Devil’s Alley H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access.
- 149.4 Stickpile Hill H/B (map) Remote Campsite – Rough access point 0.6 miles away at Mile 150
- 154.1 Sorrel Ridge H/B (map) Remote Campsite – Rough access point 0.7 miles away at Mile 153.4
- 156.2 Paw Paw Tunnel Campground (map) Easy vehicle access – Tent Campsites – Fee Area: $10/Night
- 156.9 Purslane Run H/B (map) 0.7 miles from vehicle access at mile 156.2
- 162.1 Town Creek H/B (map) 0.2 miles from vehicle access at mile 161.9
- 164.8 Potomac Forks H/B Remote Campsite – No vehicle access.
- 166.7 Camp Potomac (map) 301-729-1300: Private camping facility 1.5 mile from the canal. Open to scouts and other youth groups. Two cabins and eight campsites available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org reservations.
- 169.2 Pigmans Ferry H/B (map) Remote Campsite – No vehicle access.
- 173.3 Spring Gap Recreation Area (map) Primitive RV and Tent Camping – Fee Area $10/night. Store located on Route 51.
- 175.4 Iron Mountain H/B (map) Access from nearby Route 51. Located near railroad trestle. Subject to noise.
- 180.0 Evitts Creek H/B (map) 0.7 miles from vehicle access at mile 180.7